3. Are you facing specific gynaecological problems?
Whether you are trying to conceive or are currently pregnant, you may be facing specific medical issues such as infertility or recurrent miscarriages. Or you might be concerned about the well-being of your baby because you have a family history of illnesses such as diabetes, hypertension or cancer.
Some O&Gs sub-specialise in certain areas, so if you have any medical concerns, it’s best to look for an O&G specialist who is trained that area.
Some examples of O&G sub-specialities are:
- Perinatology/Maternal-fetal Medicine – This sub-specialty deals with high-risk pregnancies, including those involving diabetes, hypertension, multiple gestations, birth defects, and preterm labour.
- Urogynaecology – O&Gs who sub-specialise in this area focus on issues of the female pelvic floor and bladder.
- Gynaecologic Oncology – This sub-speciality deals with the diagnosis and management of gynaecologic cancers.
Many Singapore hospital websites provide lists of their practicing O&Gs with information that includes the O&G’s speciality and sub-speciality. So if you are looking for a doctor to help you with a particular medical issue, a website such as Mount Elizabeth Hospital’s could be your starting point.
Click here to have a look at O&G doctors who practice at Mount Elizabeth Hospital. You may also contact the hospital directly for a referral by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or filling up the form on this page.
4. Doctor’s fees
Do not be afraid to ask about and compare the fees of O&Gs who are on your shortlist, before deciding on one.
It’s important that the fee of the O&G of your choice fits your budget since you will be seeing this doctor regularly. Here are some points to keep in mind when it comes to O&G doctors’ fees and charges:
- If you have private health insurance, check if the O&Gs on your list accept it, especially if you are looking to get a costly procedure such as IVF done.
- Check if you are eligible for any government subsidies for major surgeries.
- Delivery charges will vary from doctor to doctor, so do compare these fees too.
- Find out if the O&G or the hospital he or she practices at offers maternity packages and how services included in the package suit your needs. For example, if you choose to have your baby at Mouth Elizabeth Novena Hospital, the Junior Suite package offers — among other things — personalised nursing and breastfeeding services, newborn hearing screening test and lodging for 2 companions.
Keep reading for more great information on the next page…