Chicken remains as one of the most common meat eaten in Asia as it can be cooked in so many ways and still be delicious. One way to enjoy chicken is to steam it and let it cook in its own juices. Although simple the taste and smell will remind one of your childhood, as many Asians have grown up with simple fares such as steamed chicken — plus it’s healthier than cooking it in oil or fat! Here is a steamed chicken dish that can be prepared without hassles. Perfect for busy mummies or mums-to-be!
- 1 chicken whole leg (cleaned and cut into four pieces)
- 2 tomatoes (sliced into 1-centimetre strips)
- 1 onion (sliced into thin strips)
- 1 red chili (remove the seeds)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1-inch piece of ginger root
- 2 tablespoon of oyster sauce
- ½ teaspoon of thick soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of hot water
- 1 tablespoon of chopped scallions
- Tin foil (enough to cover the chicken)
- Pound the red chili, garlic, and ginger root together until they form a paste.
- Transfer the paste into a bowl and add oyster sauce, soy sauce, and hot water to form a marinade for the chicken.
- Coat the chicken with the marinade and wrap it in the tin foil.
- Then, place the tin foil-wrapped chicken in a heat-proof plate.
- Leave the chicken in the fridge to soak in the flavor from the marinade for at least 60 minutes.
- Once chicken has been in marinade for a while, place the plate with the chicken in the steamer.
- Steam for 15 minutes, then add the tomato slices in with the chicken in the tin foil.
- Steam for another 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked.
- Serve and enjoy!
Make sure you like us on Facebook and stay up-to-date on the latest from Pregnant.Sg!