Some nursing mothers find that they have excess milk flow when they’re breastfeeding. While pumping and storing breast milk is always an option, some women find that they’re still producing more milk than their baby can feed. In such cases, there are some herbal remedies that have been known to help decrease excess milk flow and relieve uncomfortable breast engorgement. Herbs like sage, peppermint and parsley are said to help when made into forms of oils or tea. Here are some ways you can use sage specifically to help decrease your excess milk flow.
How to incorporate sage into your diet
- Take 1/4 teaspoon of sage 3 times per day for 1-3 days
- Mix the sage in vegetable juice (for example, V-8). Note that mixing it into other juices that have a fruity or citrus taste may not taste very good or blend very well.
- Add a few sprinkles of sage into a tiny piece of sandwich. Peanut butter or something else a bit sticky seems to work best for holding the sage in place (to counter act the smell and taste of it).Tear off the corner of the sandwich containing the sage (it should be a very small section) and swallow it without chewing (that’s why you need a very small section).
- Infuse 1 tablespoon of dried sage in 1 cup of boiling water (or 20g dried sage in 50 ml boiling water). Steep for 5-15 minutes. Drink 1 cup, 2 – 6 times per day.
- Use it as a tincture: 30-60 drops of tincture, 3-6 times a day.
While herbs may effectively suppress milk production, you should always use precaution in overusing. Note that most of the herbs generally stop milk secretion, therefore their use is recommended more for weaning purposes. Mothers who are thinking of utilizing herbs for the purpose of regulating their oversupply of milk may need to reconsider the manual expression of milk. Engorgement of the breast should be managed through a massage and a pump rather than using herbs that are potent enough to terminate lactation. It is strongly suggested for mothers to seek a lactation consultant for this matter.
Make sure you like us on Facebook and stay up-to-date on the latest from Pregnant.Sg!