Sugar-free Carrot Cake
ref: The Baby Led Weaning Cookbook by Gill Rapley & Tracey Murkett
Ingredients for Sugar-free Carrot Cake:
200g wholemeal self-raising flour & 1 tsp baking powder (or 200g plain flour with 3 tsp baking powder)110g dates, finely chopped
50g desiccated coconut
50g nuts, finely chopped or ground
3 tsp ground mix spice, cinnamon or nutmeg
110g melted unsalted butter
1 large carrot, grated
grated zest of 1 orange & 2 tbsp orange juice
2 eggs, beaten
For the topping(optional)
200g cream cheese
100g dates, finely chopped
zest & juice of 1 orange or lemon
1. Preheat the oven to 150C & lightly grease a 20cm(8in) round cake tin.
2. Sift the flour & baking powder into a large bowl and add the dates, coconut, nuts & spices.
3. Mix thoroughly, then make a well in the centre.
4. Combine the melted butter, sultanas, carrot & orange zest & juice.
5. Add to the dry ingredients and combine to make a thick paste.
6. Add the eggs and mix thoroughly.
7. Spoon the mixture into the cake tin and place in the oven. Bake for 45-60 minutes or until done.
8. Remove from the oven & allow to cool.
9. If using the topping, blend the ingredients until smooth and spread over the cake.
If you would like to sweeten this cake, do add in dates, coconut or orange juice. The cake is also very dry – it is more like a fruit cake than your traditional carrot cake.