If you’re thinking of following the traditional Singapore Chinese practice of confinement, you might consider hiring a confinement nanny.
A confinement nanny is typically a mature woman who has plenty of experience in confinement practices and wisdom to help you recovery quickly from delivery and nourish your body back to full health.
With changing times, however, many women today either choose not to practice confinement or choose to do it on their own. If you’re trying to decide what to do, here are a few questions to ask yourself to see if you need a confinement nanny.
What does a confinement nanny do?
A confinement nanny serves the purpose of:
- Educating new mums and dads on the practices of confinement
- Buying or guiding the family on what ingredients and herbs to buy for confinement
- Preparing all the special confinement meals for the family
- Doing the laundry
- Bathing and soothing the baby
- Feeding the baby (unless you prefer to breastfeed)
You should bear in mind that a confinement nanny is not a domestic helper but a postpartum companion for you and the baby. If you have older children, it won’t be her responsibility to babysit them, although you could perhaps negotiate this with her. You should not expect her to undertake major household cleaning aside from ensuring dishes are washed and things are kept tidy.
Next page: How to find a confinement nanny in Singapore