Purées are usually your baby’s very first tastes of solid food and should be full of healthful things like vegetables and fruits. The cheery orange colour of a pumpkin is due to its high level of carotenoids that help in preventing free radicals and protecting your baby’s developing eyes. Also abundant in fiber, Vitamin C and Magnesium, pumpkins are great for regulating bowel movements along with maintaining bones and teeth. Here is a recipe for how you can turn pumpkin into homemade baby food.
Age suitability: 6 months
Suitable for freezing: Yes
- 1 peeled and diced pumpkin
- 4 to 5 tablespoons formula, breast milk or water
- Steam pumpkin for about 10 minutes or until the pumpkin is soft.
- Mix with liquid.
- Use a blender or food processor to purée the vegetables.
- After puréeing pumpkin, you can pour it into ice cube trays to freeze. When frozen, pop the pumpkin cubes out of the trays and transfer to freezer bags to store in freezer.
You need to make sure that you use clean and dry utensils and bowls when preparing baby food to ensure good hygiene.
Make sure you like us on Facebook and stay up-to-date on the latest from Pregnant.Sg!