Many mums wonder how they can store expressed breast milk. Thomson Medical Centre helps to answer.
You can store expressed breast milk under the following conditions:
- 4 hrs at room temperature; about 25 0C
- 48 hrs in a fridge; about 4 0C
- 2 – 6 mths in a two-door freezer
- 6 mths to 1 yr in deep chest freezer; -20 0C
You should not refreeze thawed expressed breast milk, nor microwave or boil expressed breast milk. Suggested methods of thawing include:
- Thaw in a jug of warm water –use within 1 hour; discard leftover
- Thaw in a jug of cold water- pour out the amount needed; put the remainder back into fridge which should be used within 24 hours; discard leftover
- Thaw in the fridge; should be used within 48 hrs; discard left over
This article is brought to you by Thomson Medical Centre.
Information shown is to serve as a guide and for educational purposes only. Please consult your doctor or seek help from medical professionals when in doubt. Thomson Medical Centre Ltd and its affiliates will not be liable for any consequence relating directly or indirectly to any action or inaction taken based on the content provided. The information is owned by Thomson Medical Centre Ltd and cannot be copied or reproduced in any form without the written consent of Thomson Medical Centre Ltd.
Make sure you like us on Facebook and stay up-to-date on the latest from Pregnant.Sg!