This traditional Chinese recipe for lean pork soup with tian ma and gou teng is believed to cure the dizziness some women may experience during pregnancy. TCM specialists say herbs like tian ma and gou teng promote blood circulation, something especially necessary for expectant mummies reaching the end of their second trimester.
To aid blood flow, you should also massage your legs regularly and take short walks at intervals – but don’t overdo it! Remember to use lean pork when cooking this soup; you don’t want to consume an unnecessary amount of fats that will only clog up your arteries over time.
Recipe lightly adapted from Before, During & After Pregnancy, by Chung-man Mak
- 10g processed He Shou Wu
- 10g Gou Teng
- 15g Tian Ma
- 15g ginger
- 100g lean pork
- Salt (optional)
Preparation for Lean pork soup with Tian Ma and Gou Teng
- Rinse all ingredients, except the ginger.
- Place He Shou Wu, lean pork and ginger into a clay pot. Add desired amount of water, or until pot is three-quarters full.
- Bring soup to a boil, then adjust to low heat and leave to simmer for about an hour.
- Add Gou Teng, and allow to cook for another 20 minutes.
- Season with salt to taste. Serve warm.
Make sure you like us on Facebook and stay up-to-date on the latest from Pregnant.Sg!