Expressed breastmilk can pretty much be used in any recipe that calls for milk. Its rich, cream like taste has been known as a great substitute for creamer, and a tasty addition to ice cream and many a baby puree recipe.
RELATED: 10 cool uses for breastmilk
The nutritional content of breastmilk is so superior that there is no need for any wastage! Breastmilk recipes may not just be for babies. If you have any spare, then it can be used in a number of recipes for the whole family to enjoy. Check out these 5 breastmilk recipes suitable for mum and dad!
Strawberry and vanilla cupcakes
These cupcakes use breastmilk in both the batter and frosting. They're a great treat for the whole family. This recipe will make around 10 cupcakes.
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup breastmilk
1/2 plain yoghurt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup softened butter
3 chopped strawberries
1 1/4 cup icing sugar
1/4 cup breastmilk
1 tsp vanilla extract
Strawberries to decorate
1. Preheat the oven to 180C Line a cupcake baking tray with cases.
2. Sift and stir together the flour, baking soda, baking powder.
3. In another bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy and then beat in the eggs, one at a time.
4. Slowly stir in the flour mixture alternately with the yoghurt and breastmilk.
5. Finally, stir in the vanilla extract and pour evenly into the cupcake cases.
6. Bake the cupcakes for about 15 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cakes comes out clean. Remove from the baking tray and leave to cool completely.
7. While the cakes are cooling you can prepare the strawberry frosting.
8. Cream the butter and then mix in the strawberries.
9. Next, add in the icing sugar a little at a time until well blended.
10. Stir in the breastmilk one spoon at a time until completely blended.
11. Add the vanilla and mix until well combined.
12. Spread the frosting on the cupcakes and decorate with a fresh strawberry on top!
Adapted from landmilkhoney.com
Let us know what you think of these breastmilk recipes in the comment box below. Or, even better, try out the recipe and let us know how it tasted!
Make sure you like us on Facebook, and stay up-to-date on the latest from Pregnant.Sg!